Is Online Coaching Right For You?
FE3 in Rocky River, Ohio is known for being above the rest when it comes to training, program design, and nutrition. Because of this, we have attracted clients from all over the world.
We believe that online training is the right solution for some, but there are several things to consider before one decides to take part in this type of regimen. We’ll still work with you through the internet and online nutrition programs like iNutrition and Precision Nutrition, but you won’t be required to come into the gym to work directly with your coach. Several issues can turn the best thing you’ve ever done into the biggest mistake. Before you choose this method of coaching, consider the pros and cons:
- Cost effective compared to face-to-face training
- Provides access to quality coaches if distance is an issue
- Be able to train at times that suit you best
- Skype/Facebook messenger sessions are available to discuss and monitor progress
- No physical assessments like body composition testing, musculature testing, or structural balance testing
- You won’t have a coach overseeing the quality of your training
- Less specific training or nutrition programs
Here’s How to Tell if Our Online Training Program is Right for You
Here are a few questions you’ll need to ask yourself before you move forward with online training.
- Are you motivated enough to train alone? Can you push yourself hard enough to get optimal results? Enjoying training is of major importance to be able to push through the pain that will arise when you train hard
- Can you be 100% accountable to yourself and your coach, even if you may initially disagree with a training program or nutrition aspect of the training? You should be prepared to do what you haven’t done before
- Are you willing to do what the coach asks of you? Be honest with the initial consult, (training age, goal setting, injuries, allergies, physical and mental diseases, etc.) and the coach will be honest with you
- Are you able to train hard, have a specific goal in mind, and have some idea of the behaviors required to get there? It is great to have an outcome in your mind, but without the right behaviors in place, that outcome will not come to fruition. For example, if you plan to lose five percent body fat in 12 weeks, you are currently not eating breakfast, and survive the morning on a coffee, then 90 percent of the time you need to change your eating behaviors
Here are a few mistakes we commonly see from online clients:
- The client is not responding to emails within seven days. This may seem insignificant, but if a client doesn’t care about the little things, the major changes they seek aren’t going to happen
- Not being punctual with requests from the coach. We’ll ask you to provide videos of training, food logs, measurements, etc., and these are critical for the coach to make changes when progressing and correcting exercise form
- Not sticking to the coach’s guidelines on rest, tempo, etc. when training. This is critical for the optimal hormonal response the coach is seeking
- Taking “before” photos at different times of the day and under different lighting/distance. Your photos should be in the same place, at the same time, under the same lighting without exception
There is nothing comparable to a great coach being there in the gym to get the most out of you in a face-to-face training session. However, with online training, if all of the above is taken into account with the right mindset, you’ll yield great results!
Interested in signing up for online coaching with our team? Reach out to one of our coaches here.