“It’s impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.” Think again! If you are looking to build your dream physique, increase your overall work capacity, and slice off fat in as little as 30 minutes, try German Body Composition.
The information below comes from Charles Poliquin who designed an entire book describing this training method. His belief was that one could build muscle and burn fat with weight training and no cardio/aerobic training. Well, he definitely did that. And at FE3, we have utilized this theory and can say that it definitely works.
- Recovery – GBC pairs upper and lower body exercises in the workouts. This gives the opposing muscle group time to rest and for you to feel fresh on your next set.
- Increases work capacity
- EPOC – burning calories when you rest.
- Shorter workouts
- Increase in growth hormone
- Can see results with only 2-3 sessions a week
How to execute GBC?
- Use your main compound exercises (squats, deadlift, bench press)
- Higher repetitions 10-15 reps
- Shorter rest intervals – 60 seconds or less
- Sets – 3-5
- Slower tempo – Using slower tempo has been shown to make a better muscle building and fat loss response.
- Using these parameters increases growth hormone, which is a biochemical that is naturally produced in the body that helps regulate body fat. GBC not only burns more fat during your workout but throughout the rest of the day as well! To make this more crucial, it has been shown that as we age, growth hormone levels can decrease by 14 percent in a decade, making it harder to lose fat and gain muscle, making strength training a MUST!
What type of results to expect?
- For women it is not uncommon to lose 6-8% of their body fat in 12 weeks while maintaining or gaining muscle.
- Males can expect to reduce .5 percent of body fat per week while gaining muscle. Beginners can also see an eye opening 12-18 pound increase in muscle mass in 12 weeks!
Ready to reach your physique goals? Here is an example of a GBC workout:
|A1.||Trap Bar deadlift||3||12-15||30X0||30 seconds|
|A2.||Overhead Dumbbell Press||3||10-12||3011||30 seconds|
|B1||Alternating DB lunges||3||12-15||20X0||30 seconds|
|B2.||Seated rope rowing to neck||3||12-15||3010||30s|
|C1||45 degree back extension||3||8-10||3010||30s|
|C2||Weighted step up||3||8-10 each leg||20X0||90s|